mRemoteNG is a popular and handy tool for people managing connections to multiple servers with tabs no matter the connection types are ssh, or rdp, or http/https etc. Usually for a connection, you will configure username & password along with the host/IP information so that you don’t need to enter a user name and its password when making a connection within mRemoteNG. The password is masked as the asterisk signs.
However sometimes you might need to retrieve the password saved and here is a way to do so:
- Open mRemoteNG and go to the menu “Tools” -> “External Tools”.
- Then select “New External Tool” to create a new external tool.
- In the External Tools Properties, fill in values for 3 properties “Display Name”, “Filename” and “Arguments”.
- You can give any string as the Display Name.
- Enter “cmd” as the Filename.
- Enter “/k echo %password%” as the Arguments.
- Next go to the connection where you would like to retrieve the password from and right-click on it and choose “External tools” -> The tool you just defined.
- A command line window will open and show the passwrod for the user configured for this connection.